WILLIAM M. FENNELL
William Fennell has been practicing over twenty years and focuses on multi-faceted maritime, transportation, and insurance disputes. William routinely represents insurers under cargo, marine general, hull, pollution, and protection and indemnity policies, and pursued subrogated recoveries on their behalf. He has represented vessel interests in limitation of liability actions, freight forwarders in contract disputes, and salvors in WreckFixed negotiations. He has litigated cases in both federal and state courts, and in marine forums such as the Society of Maritime Arbitrators.
William is currently serving as the Chair of the Marine Insurance & General Average Committee for the Maritime Law Association of the United States.
Before joining the firm, William clerked for the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- New York, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 2000
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Order of Coif
- Honors: Recipient of the Judge Albert H. Grenadier Award
- Honors: Director of Publications, Moot Court Board, 1999-2000
- State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York
- B.A. - 1995
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Chair, New York Subcommittee on Meetings and Events, 2014 to 2017
- New York State Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Marine Insurance & General Average, Chair (2021-Present), Vice Chair (2018-2021)